Jammu & Kashmir Receive Its First Fleet of 10 Electric Buses

Jammu and Kashmir received its first fleet of electric buses. A total of 10 electric buses have been procured by J&K State Road Transport Corporation.

Jammu and Kashmir has become the latest state to receive its first-ever fleet of electric buses under a central scheme. However, the buses will hit the roads only after the model code of conduct (MCC), presently in effect due to the general elections, is over in May.

Related Post

As per officials, 10 electric buses have been recently received by J&K State Road Transport Corporation from Tata Motors and 30 more similar vehicles will be added to the fleet of eco-friendly buses soon. According to a state daily, the official added that a trial run of the electric buses was held between Vijaypur to Rail Head complex area in Jammu on last Saturday.

“Keeping in view the model code of conduct, the buses shall become operational only in May when the Lok Sabha elections are over,” the official said adding that 20 buses each will be plying on Kashmir and Jammu roads.

As for the electric buses, these 30 to 32 seater buses, can be customized and seating arrangement can be changed as per the state’s requirements. These busses are branded as the ‘New Horizon Vehicles’, and cost around Rs 1 crore each. The 10 Buses have been procured under the Faster Adoption and Manufacturing Hybrid and Electric Vehicles or FAME scheme. In this, 60 percent of the cost of these buses will be borne by the center while the rest 40 percent will be paid by the state government. The buses have been manufactured in a plant in Karnataka.

Tata Motors will also train the JKSRTC drivers before the electric buses are put into operation. It will also conduct training sessions for the mechanical staff to handle maintenance of these buses. Interestingly, the electric buses also come with fast charging, which promises a full charge within 2 to 3 hours and will travel around 150 kilometers on a single charge.

Picture credit: Greater Kashmir

(Visited 28 times, 1 visits today)

Sneha Verma

Sneha Verma

Sneha has worked with News agencies such as DD, PTI and ANI and after covering politics, in search for fresh air, she later joined Iamrenew team. She has done her graduation in Journalism & Masscom. from IP university and PGD in HR from TISS.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

19 − 2 =